Thursday, October 9, 2008

on Premchand

When asked why Premchand didn't write anything about himself, he answered: 
"What greatness do I have that I have to tell anyone about? I live just like millions of people in this country; I am ordinary. My life is also ordinary. I am a poor school teacher suffering family travails. During my whole lifetime, I have been grinding away with the hope that I could become free of my sufferings. But I have not been able to free myself from suffering. What is so special about this life that needs to be told to anybody?".
--
Now thats different.
--
"A writer or an artist is progressive by nature, if this was not his/her nature, he/she would not be a writer at all."

4 comments:

Navarino said...

You interpretation lands me in confusion. Not writing about oneself, uhmmmm! How is it not progressive? I don't know what he wrote, didn't read any of his writings...all Hindi I remember. But, what he writes doesn't matter. The fact that he writes matters.....I am confused by your suggested paradox....`

Ning said...

I was interested in his idea of not having anything to write about himself. I just respect his self-lessness (?). I don't know. I just found it intriguing. POsting his quotation here does not mean I agree with him.

Navarino said...

Yes! He was an amazing writer. I remember reading about him during the school days. We had chapters based on him. It is said that he was one of the most underrated writers in Indian history...Good that you came across his name

Ning said...

Yeah
He was one of the first realist writers of India. Before him, ppl wrote fantastic and melodramatic and religious works. But Premchand started writing about common lives of common people. Quite sensible fellow. Common people and their issues. Not about miracles and dramatic plots..