shame

Today at 4am in the morning, my mother called me up telling me that there is a tsumani warning all across the Pacific area, which would include Christchurch too. After the earthquake in Chile which was 8.8 on the richter scale, there were some apparent movement in the ocean. My mother called to confirm that I am aware of it and you know, just in case I was planning on going to the beach today.

The next day I woke up and went to church and there was a prayer for Chile. Then we sang the songs we rehearsed. And it all went well. And then I went home, updated my facebook profile status:
"Watched the movie Knowing about earth being destroyed when there was a slight shift in the cosmology of the universe, just before I slept. Got a call at 4am from my mum telling me the Pacific area has received Tsumani warning after the Chile earthquake. Couldn't have been a more appropriate timing. PS. Did tell her Christchurch city is about 5km away from the sea."

After typing it, I was ashamed of myself.

People died in Chile. People are dying in Chile. Here was I in a different planet altogether, unbothered by it, only except that my mother called me and warned me about it and I related it to a movie I watched last night.

I was tempted to delete the post on facebook, but I didn't. If I am like that, then maybe people should also see it and think of me that way.

But the more I thought about it, I realised there is nothing I can do here. My church prayed for it, and I wish we did more. Or maybe I wish that because I know we can't do anything. Because everyday I walk across people who need help and I don't even think once of helping them.

Shame.