Amelie (Film Review)

Watched Amelie for the second time tonight. After my first watch I don't remember being so impressed by it. I liked it. But this time round I am impressed to even write a review.

There are probably thousands of reviews already written about this film, since it is so popular, one of the alternative art films that have been well received by the mainstream viewers. But even then, here is my version.

Amelie is a warm, witty and cleverly made story. Audrey Tautou is doubtlessly the star of the film.

But what won this over for me, especially on the second watch, are the few rare montage-type shots that capture nostalgia, joy and warmth so well.

The fast forward shots of the scooter ride at the end achieved the same effect as the final shots for Happy Together did for me. Ending notes are so so important. It was the same with the novel Never Let Me Go. Same with Happy Together. And same with Amelie. It makes me wonder even if I had hated the entire movie, if the ending was strong, emotive and capturing, would I forget it all and walk out of the movie content?

It was an area that The Deathly Hallows Part 2 perhaps failed in. The ending failed disappointingly. But again, thats another story.

What I didn't like about Amelie would have to be the overload of colour. It was meant to be aesthetic delight sort of attempt - I can see that, and even acknowledge it. So, is it just personal preference then, when I say that the colours here are overdone?

The drama took a bit too long to unfold with Amelie. Midway I almost got bored.

But again, I think this film is a very important one because it must have been part of some Post French New Wave style - a further development from Godard and so on.

Also, on a side note - widescreen shots became a bit painful. Some shots in the movie were 4:3 format and gave a breather while they lasted.

Bottomline, what a beautiful work.