Film Review - Dum Maro Dum 2011

Literally it means: दम मारो दम, "Puff, take a puff!"

This new project borrows its name heavily inexcusably and bashlessly from the classic Bollywood song of the same name from the movie Hare Rama Hare Krishna.

That's not why it is unforgiveable. I know films have borrowed names from past works and have done a good job at that. For example:
Inglourious Basterds that Quentin Tarantino borrowed from Inglorious Bastards, also a war movie set in the Second World War.
Om Shanti Om that Farah Khan borrowed from a Kishore Kumar song. Here too, Farah Khan, being a choreographer previously before a director, makes good use of her skills and make this movie an unpretentious celebration of Bollywood music, dance and drama.
So let it be clear that I am not against ripping names off and using the popularity of its original as a selling point. In fact sometimes it can be smart.

What I am pissed about is this:
You don't, you never rip off a classic material, that everyone knows by name, and attempt to make a film of it, and then use this crap of a design like this to sell it.

This poster/promotional art has tainted my otherwise near perfect sepia tinted impression of Dum Maro Dum.

What I am saying is, show some respect. Show some respect for art. For good things. Don't stuff it in the instant cool/marketable/mainstream/popular bag by degrading its artness. 


Well, first, I am clear that preference in art/design/aesthetics is purely personal. The fact that I don't like this poster doesn't mean the designer is bad, or he is inefficient. I just don't like it. Especially because you're tampering with classic material, thats meant to be timeless. This just doesn't do justice.

This photo is the scene where the song Dum Maro Dum was originally shot at:
Dev Anand and Zeenat Aman somewhere in Kathmandu where everyone is taking rounds smoking to their own bliss.

The film (the new one) comes out April 2011. I am looking forward to seeing it. I know it will be a brainless display of sweaty abs, dizzying shot editing and noise, but I am curious to see what they do with the big name they have borrowed.